Friday, July 3, 2009

More summer filler

The Orlando Sentinel recently completed a look at the top teams from the past decade--just more summer filler for the sports section.

While I agree their choice of No. 1 (2001 Miami Hurricanes) is a solid selection, I was shocked to see the Florida Gators with Mr. Wonderful not ranked higher. The 2008 Gators were picked sixth.

I guess the one loss to Ole Miss kept the Gators out of the top spot. Even so, I'd definitely pick the 2008 Gators ahead of the 2000 Oklahoma Sooners (No. 5) and 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes (No. 4).

It is interesting to note that the SEC teams were dissed a bit as they occupied the final four spots in the rankings with 2007 LSU Tigers in ninth, 2003 Tigers at eighth and the Chris Leak-led Gators of 2006 at No. 7.

While I like the Hurricanes in the top spot I probably wouldn't put them there. I would actually put the Canes at No. 3, then the 2005 Texas Longhorns in second and crown the 2004 USC Trojans as the best of the decade.

Those three teams are a toss up as it would be easy to go with Vince Young and the Longhorns, who knocked off USC in one of the most exciting BCS title games ever. But there was just something unbeatable about Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll in 2004, especially when you consider the 2003 USC was co-champs and much more talented than LSU that season.

Guess it really doesn't matter. I'm just trying to fill some blog space on a Friday night.

1 comment:

A. Nonnymuss said...

interesting list. While 2008 Florida was good, how can't you discount a team losing a home game?