Saturday, November 21, 2009

Stellar defense in DII playoff game: final score 84-63


Scrolling across the bottom of the ESPN screen was this: DII playoffs - West Liberty State 84, Edinboro 63. When I saw the score I would have bet about anything that this game went into OT.

I would have lost. Then I thought maybe Greg Robinson was coaching defense in this game.

I wish I had made the drive over to West Liberty, W.Va., to see this game. Even more interesting is West Liberty avenged a season-opening 42-30 loss to Edinboro and won its 11th consecutive game.

If anyone finds a highlight video of this one let me know. The Hilltoppers built a 56-21 halftime lead, as the teams combined for a DII single-game record 1,394 yards of total offense. Despite all of the offense, the Fighting Scots never got within 20 points after West Liberty took a 28-7 lead.
The Hilltoppers took the lead immediately as Kashif Walls took the opening kickoff 80-yards for a score.

Edinboro QB Trevor Harris did have a day for the record books as he broke the NCAA Division II single-game playoff passing record by completing 50-of-76 passes for 630 yards and five touchdowns.

Hey, West Lib. If you can guarantee me another exciting game this coming Saturday I'll drive over to see you take on California (Pa.) at noon.

No comments: