Monday, September 1, 2008

Week 1 in Review

Is it because I live in Ohio or ESPN's love of the Buckeyes? But does it seem that we are getting hour-by-hour updates on Beanie Wells' foot?

Is WVU coach Bill Stewart the second coming of Don Nehlen? Listen to this quote: "I hated to throw the ball, because (Villanova coach Andy) Talley is a dear friend," he said. "My mother and dad would not be pleased with me."

Quick coaching evaluation: East Carolina's Skip Holtz was exceptional. Arkansas' Bobby Petrino was lucky. Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer was unlucky. Texas A&M's Mike Sherman was pitiful. (Rich Rodriguez is 2 to 3 years away).

Early Heisman favorites (based on this weekend): 1. Mark Sanchez (USC) completed 26-35 for 338 yards and three TDs; 2. Jeremy Maclin (Missouri) had a 99-yard kickoff return and made some spectacular catches before getting hurt against Illinois; 3. Pat White (WVU) completed 25-33 for 208 yards and five scores.





How good (or bad) are they?
* Alabama: Nick Saban's team is young, but talented. I was impressed with what I saw Saturday night, but it's hard to get a read on how good they really are. Was it simply a case of Clemson not being that good (or the SEC is really that much better than the ACC?).

* USC: The Trojans are good. I believe the best in the country. But it should also be noted that Virginia was that bad also.

* LSU: The Tigers were a pleasant surprise. Not like I thought they would play like crap, but they lost a lot from last year. What I'm realizing is that LSU is at a point that they just reload (no wonder Les Miles didn't want to consider the Michigan job).

Looking forward to this week? Miami at Florida Saturday night. I grew up a Canes fan. I watched Testaverde, Kosar, Kelly, etc. I'm pulling for the U this week, but I know Tim Tebow and the Gators will probably tune up the young Canes.

No comments: