Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Coaching through Twitter

The news that a number of college coaches have turned to Twitter as a way to communicate with recruits and fans is interesting. But can we really believe that Pete Carroll and Rich Rodriguez are really sitting down or jumping on their Blackberry to offer their latest thoughts on lunch and March Madness?

I have been pretty skeptical until I read that Minnesota coach Tim Brewster is now on board because he didn't want to be outdone on the recruiting trail. Brewster's first Tweet was on Monday and since he has eight additional posts. He must be pissed because most of his Tweets are in all CAPS.

Look, I'm all for the coaches getting any advantage they can within the rules. But I'm still pretty skeptical when it comes to who is writing these updates. These guys don't even vote in the Coaches Poll like they claim, so should I really believe that RichRod is writing, "Good work done at practice today. Watching film with the Coaches. Go Blue!"

I believe in the power of Twitter. Heck, I update out account (which by the way you can find here). But one thing is for sure, I won't be following any of these accounts. I would encourage fans to follow some of the better college football Twitter accounts (besides ours).

Check out:

Donnie Webb and Syracuse football
Sean Keeley at Nunes Magician
Mike Hlas at The Hlog
EveryDayShouldBeSaturday
Rocky Top Talk and Tennessee football
Peter Bean at Burnt Orange Nation
Ryan, Trent and Adam at Brothers In 3-Z

2 comments:

A. Nonnymuss said...

latest Lane Kiffin Tweet: "Coach Orgeron is totally ripping off his shirt - right now!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tout. And please believe me when I tell you I got my own Brewster/Twitter post from somewhere else.

But I'm sure I'll be mining your site soon.

Thanks again.

Hlas