Monday, June 1, 2009

Begging and pleading at the Big House


As a youngster in the late 1970s and early 1980s there were a few teams that personified college football. Programs like Alabama, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame and Michigan.

You could argue most of these are still among the elite today. However, Michigan is officially off that list now. It started with the hiring of RichRod, but now there is this year's Michigan-Big House Pledge T-shirt (click on image to see a larger version).

Big-time programs don't need fans to sign an honor code or declare they will attend home games in good times or bad, for richer or poorer. Following a 3-9 debacle in RichRod's first year and my oh my how things have changed in Ann Arbor.

Here is what the shirt says:

THE BIG HOUSE PLEDGE
I pledge to make my way to the Big House every football Saturday
to cheer on my Maize and Blue as they take the
field in the name of Michigan. I will join the
chorus of Wolverine faithful as they hail the Victors.
I promise to give everything I have to the Maize and Blue and I
will dig deep for something extra when the team needs me most
I will bring it all four quarters and I won't stop until the clock
reads all zeroes. I will do all of this because I am
ALL IN FOR MICHIGAN

Since when do the fans need a pep talk? When you know you're going to suck again. Any Michigan fan wearing this shirt should be booted from the Big House. I'm actually embarrassed for Michigan right now.

Maybe I'll get a few for my Ohio State friends so they can replace these shirts.

5 comments:

A. Nonnymuss said...

3-9=Pep talk

Anonymous said...

Totally embarrassing. Anyone who has been going to U of M football for years (as I have) can tell you that its the quietest most uninterested group of 107,000 people you've ever come across, due in large measure to the fact that tickets have only been available to elite members of society who find the whole activity somewhat beneath them. Which frankly, I dont mind, at least I dont have to stand the whole game. Rich Rod & co. can make up all the corny pledges they want, its still going to be a ghost town by the 3rd quarter.

Anonymous said...

No true Michigan fans here clearly. How sad that you allow one unfortunate season take away the legacy of the team with the most wins in NCAA I-A history. Though I'm sure if you disregard the fact that Loyd Carr's late announced retirement coupled with the late hiring of Rich Rodriguez made recruitment a nightmare; and considering Michigan didn't have all the right personnel to transfer from a power running to team to a spread offense I can understand how you reach that conclusion. Needless to say real Michigan fans don't need a pep-talk or a pledge to fill the Big House.

Anonymous said...

What? That shirt is uber cool! Must be you take it for granted or you were given one of them, because I would take one of those shirts in a heartbeat!!

Anonymous said...

Quit bitching....they are undefeated this year and the Big House has been quite loud this year. I don't look at this shirt as a "pep talk" or an "honor code contract". I see it as a statement of pride in a historical program. Ohio State? Don't look now but they will be 2nd to Michigan in the Big Ten this year. The U of M doesn't need fans like you anyway, so why don't you go chew on some Buckeyes.....Jackass.