Friday, June 12, 2009

ESPN buys Rose Bowl

If it didn't already, ESPN officially owns the sporting world now. The Worldwide Leader added the Rose Bowl to its stable of bowl games starting in 2011. Remember ESPN had already pried away the other BCS games by outbidding FOX.

Look, I won't miss the horrible announcing on FOX. But this means there are almost no bowl games remaining on network TV. This isn't a positive. I get ESPN and so do most of my friends. But not all of the approximately 300 million people in the U.S. have cable or satellite TV.

Personally, this doesn't impact me much at all. I enjoy watching college football on ESPN. It will also mean better announcers and better coverage, since these guys and gals actually do games during the season (unlike FOX).

However, this will probably mean lower ratings for all of the big bowl games in 2011, but the BCS doesn't care as long ESPN is willing to dish over hundreds of millions of dollars. Audience be damned.

No comments: