Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Premature commitment to UT

I read today that 13-year-old Evan Berry committed to play football at the University of Tennessee in ... five years. Seriously, a 13-year-old has committed to something? I know 40-year-olds who still can't commit.

OK. Maybe Berry is a little different. He is the younger brother of Tennessee safety Eric Berry. Evan, who has yet to step foot on a high school campus, is ready to follow the path already paved by his brother and father, who also played for the Vols. Evan was actually quoted as saying, "I want to play in the secondary and I want to play for coach (Monte) Kiffin."

Hey Evan, Monte is like a 103. Do you really think he'll be around in five years? I'm not even sure Our Boy Lane Kiffin will be around in five years.

Look, I'm sure Evan is talented. He has the bloodlines. But is there any good reason to make this announcement now? He's already a target for high school teammates and opponents who can't appreciate the arrogance of making this announcement. Who knows, he may not warrant a scholarship to UT.

Congratulations Evan Berry. I hope this works out for you. Just be careful about any other premature commitments in the future.

UPDATE: Here is a YouTube video of Evan and his fraternal brother.

1 comment:

A. Nonnymuss said...

I'll bet Lane texts him every night. I heard they saw "Night at the Museum II" together.