Friday, October 24, 2008

Picks of the Week

Damn the ACC. Each week is so unpredictable. After saying on our podcast this week that I would never pick another ACC game, I'm sort of breaking that rule already. What I actually meant was I wouldn't try to pick a winner when two ACC teams play. So I am willing to take a shot on the Brain Bowl of Vandy and Duke this week. So here are my picks for this week (can I get a little luck?):

Vanderbilt (-10) over Duke
I really want to take Duke here. David Cutcliffe's heart is in the SEC and he knows Vandy should be a victory. Both of these schools are known more for basketball and brains, but each has been impressive at times this season. It's a non-conference game, but for Duke this could mean bowl eligibility. I just can't get past the talent aspect. I think Bobby Johnson's group is more talented and will win at home.
Pick: Vanderbilt 24, Duke 10

Minnesota (+1.5) over Purdue
Joe Tiller says his Boilermakers are ripping at the seams, but I don't agree. Players are sniping at each other and the Tiller's swan song has been disappointing. Purdue QB Curtis Painter is overmatched, and Minnesota's defense got healthy during a bye week. Look for Coach Tim Brewster to have the Gophers ready to play and avoid any letdown as they look to go 7-1 and end any legitimate hopes of Purdue getting to a bowl game this year.
Pick: Minnesota 30, Purdue 21

Michigan State (-4) over Michigan
This should be a safe pick, but when you look at the facts I'm not so sure. The Spartans were embarrassed last week by Ohio State and looked dejected, and they are riding a six-game losing skid against the Wolverines. The difference this time around is that Rich Rodriguez' offense is spiraling out of control and is among the worst in the nation. Javon Ringer will run wild Saturday and lead Mark Dantonio's group to an easy win at Michigan Stadium.
Pick: Michigan 38, Michigan 14

South Florida (-3.5) over Louisville
This could be one heckuva game. I don't see how there won't be a lot of points scored at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium as the Big East's top two offenses clash. Louisville is 0-1 in conference play and this game is crucial to remaining a legitimate contender. The same could be said for the Bulls, who are 1-1. This game will be decided by with QB plays the best. Will it be USF's Matt Grothe or Louisville's Hunter Cantwell? I don't really like either, but Grothe is gutsy.
Pick: South Florida 45, Louisville 40

Upset of the Week Ohio State (-1.5) over Penn State
This is a stretch for an upset, but if the oddsmakers say it is then I will too. I haven't done too well picking against the Nittany Lions this year, but I have my reasons for this one other than PSU is overrated. The big one is Beanie Wells. He's a big-game player and I think he wants to prove something in this nationally televised night game on Saturday. I also believe the crowd wills OSU to this victory. They'll be loud, inebriated and obnoxious. Somewhat similar to a PSU crowd in Beaver Stadium.
Pick: Ohio State 24, Penn State 21

Last Week: 2-3
Season: 12-13

No comments: