Saturday, November 8, 2008

Flutie frozen in time

Can Doug Flutie really look big?

Boston College has at least found a way to make the Heisman Trophy winner look larger than life as they unveiled a statue of Flutie outside of Alumni Stadium commemorating his legendary Hail Mary pass to beat Miami on Nov. 23, 1984.

The statue is well deserved. What I can't believe is it took them almost 25 years to acknowledge one of the greatest plays in college football history.

What's important to remember is Gerard Phalen caught the pass. So when does he get a statue?

I still remember this game like it was yesterday. My dad went to the game without me. I was mad at the time, but as I watched the game on TV and saw the rain I thought it was better to be at home.

As a Hurricanes fan I was none too pleased by the play, but it would be cool to tell folks I was there. Oh well.

Still, nice statue and very much deserved. Also a good weekend for BC football as the Eagles appear on their way to defeating Notre Dame for the sixth consecutive time.

No comments: