Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random thoughts from the retired one

Special Report

Retired Coach Rick
ACC Correspondent

I wish everyone would stop trying to sell the University of Florida's greatness. They lost a home game to a middle of the pack SEC team. The other one loss teams lost an away game or on a neutral field.

I am going to sound like Lee Corso, please forgive me Joe Brodsky, but here it goes. I think Florida will beat Alabama in the SEC championship game but it is going to be closer than the experts think. I personally think if UF gets into a close, low scoring game, Alabama will win. All the conferences need to play a conference championship game. This would cut out a lot of the play-off talk.

How many people think Michigan has a chance against Ohio State? I do. Slim but a chance.

My nominees for the Heisman Trophy are #1 QB Colt McCoy, Texas; #2 QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma; #3 WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech; #4 QB Graham Harrell, Texas Tech. Of course if Florida makes it to the BCS Championship game then Tim Tebow will win it. He will win it in the closest vote of all time.

A few friends of mine have told me the bowl committees are trying to find schools that have some history with each other. A lot of them are looking at the distance the fans will have to travel. With the economy the way it is the sponsors are trying to make it as easy for the fans as they can.

Who is going to be the All-American QB this year?

The games I want to see this week are: Texas Tech/Oklahoma, Michigan State/Penn State, Ohio State/Michigan, BYU/Utah, Ball State/Central Michigan, Florida State/Maryland and Miami/Georgia Tech.

My picks are Oklahoma in a blowout. Michigan State in a close one. Ohio State in a closer one. Utah in a walk. Central Michigan in a wild but close one. FSU in an easy one. UM in another nailbiter.

No comments: