Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If it's true ...

Then Pitt enters the 2009 season as the favorite in the Big East.

Panthers running LeSean McCoy, who is preparing for his second Backyard Brawl against WVU on Friday, told reporters on Tuesday that he is enjoying college and thinks he may need another year of seasoning before heading off to the riches of the NFL.

It has been widely suspected that McCoy, who has eclipsed 1,000 yards rushing in his two seasons at Pitt, would be a first-round selection if he came out early. "I'm the one who has to take all the hits," he was quoted as saying in a wire story. "I'm still a young kid. I think my size, I can get a little bigger and stronger, and I can become a better blocker. My knowledge of the game is coming on faster than I thought, and that's pretty good for me."

Honestly, McCoy is ready for the pros. But I always respect a guy who wants to stay in college longer and he's right. He knows if he's prepared better than anyone else.

Hey Wannstache, this is a third or fourth chance for you. At 7-3, your Panthers will play in their first bowl game in five seasons. Next year you'll return seven starters on offense with McCoy, something he claims he wants to be a part of.

So it's time to be a legitimate contender in the Big East. Now if McCoy has a change of heart in two months, all bets are off.

No comments: